Requests for AEM Community Presentations are now open!
Philadelphia FIGHT offers Community Presentations to the Philadelphia community throughout May and June for AIDS Education Month (AEM). Peer Educators will lead HIV education presentations at local agencies, and community organizations. Our theme for the 2017 community presentations will be Accessing Resources, and in conjunction with our AEM theme of One Community, Recommitting to the FIGHT we plan to connect people to vital health information, connect folks to care, and reflect upon the legacy of our past, current climate, and look toward with future.
Community Presentations will be available at public computing centers, through mobile computer labs at community sites, and via presenter led lectures at organizations.
Community presentations use storytelling to engage and inform audiences about the stigma people living with HIV/AIDS face every day, the challenges around access to knowledge, and why it is essential to know your status and obtain treatment as soon as possible. We aim to break down the barriers that deter people from receiving reliable HIV information, getting tested and accessing treatment (preventive or post-infection). Additionally, we will explore some of the disparities that exist in HIV rates in the city in terms of race, gender, and socioeconomic status.
- New estimates reveal that 30,000 people in the city of Philadelphia are living with HIV/AIDS.
- 75% of new HIV cases in Philadelphia already have AIDS at the time of diagnosis.
- Your clients, residents, participants and/or community members may be unaware of their HIV status, and in need of accurate information about HIV from your agency.
- Your staff can use the information provided in the presentation to link clients to supportive agencies and trustworthy resources.
Participants will be able to:
- Understand how HIV/AIDS is transmitted
- Discuss risk reduction strategies to prevent HIV transmission, including PrEP
- Find reliable HIV information
- Separate HIV myths from facts
- Know where and how to get tested and get treated
For more information about Community Presentations, please contact Winner Bell at email@example.com and (215) 985-4448 ext. 131.
Thank you for your interest in our community presentations. Please check back next year to request a 2018 presentation.